About the Play
Winner of the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, this achingly human and surprisingly funny play is about the forces that bring people together, the realities of facing the world with disabilities and how deeply we all need each other.
Unemployed truck driver Eddie is struggling to rebuild a relationship with his estranged wife, Ani, and Jess is trying to navigate the day to day with John, her new boss in a job she really needs. People are hard.
About the Playwright
Martyna Majok was born in Bytom, Poland and raised in Jersey and Chicago. She was awarded the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for her play, Cost of Living. Other plays include Sanctuary City, Queens, and Ironbound, which have been produced across American and international stages.
Martyna is currently writing a musical adaptation of The Great Gatsby, with music by Florence Welch and Thomas Bartlett, and developing TV and film for HBO, Plan B, and Pastel. She lives in New York City.
“['Cost of Living'] slams the door on uplifting stereotypes… Tremendous emotion flows around the impediments Majok has placed in the characters’ paths… In both of [the play’s] stories… the biggest handicaps are the universal ones: fear and disconnection… Immensely haunting…[Majok] is exquisitely attuned to the many varieties of alienation hiding in plain sight in America.”
- New York Times
“By toppling old prejudices, Majok forces us to revisit our easy assumptions about people who really don’t want to be called “differently abled” and caregivers who could use a little love themselves.”
"If Martyna Majok's talent weren't so impressive and her subject so imperative, it would be easy to leave her in peace with her Pulitzer. But the American theatre needs her sensibility right now. Majok has made it her mission to bring to the stage those characters who historically have played a subordinate role in the theater — the nameless, faceless workers who are hanging on by a thread in an economy that devours the weak, the marginalized and the unlucky.”
- LA Times
DIRECTOR .................................................. Ben Raanan
PRODUCTION MANAGER......................... Bailey Wegner
ASST. PRODUCTION MANAGER
*Member of Actors' Equity Association
** Member of the United Scenic Artists of America
Visit 22-23 Season Subscriptions for reduced pricing for all three plays!
*A $3 fee will be added per ticket. For 5 or more tickets, please call our Office:
414-273-0800 or Box Office: 414-278-0765 (12-5pm) to have fees capped at $24 per order.
- Fri - Jan 20, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Sat - Jan 21, 2023 - 4:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Sat - Jan 21, 2023 - 8:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Sun - Jan 22, 2023 - 2:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Wed - Jan 25, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Thu - Jan 26, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Fri - Jan 27, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Sat - Jan 28, 2023 - 4:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Sat - Jan 28, 2023 - 8:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Sun - Jan 29, 2023 - 2:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Wed - Feb 1, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Thu - Feb 2, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Fri - Feb 3, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Sat - Feb 4, 2023 - 4:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Sun - Feb 5, 2023 - 2:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Wed - Feb 8, 2023 - 1:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Wed - Feb 8, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Thu - Feb 9, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Fri - Feb 10, 2023 - 7:30 PMBuy Tickets
- Sat - Feb 11, 2023 - 4:00 PMBuy Tickets
- Sun - Feb 12, 2023 - 2:00 PMBuy Tickets