The Fran Bauer Young Critics Project is Renaissance Theaterworks (RTW) newest arts education program. Named after RTW’s beloved Board member and journalist Fran Bauer, the Young Critics Project (FBYCP) was created to encourage the next generation of theater critics.
The project is designed to introduce Milwaukee’s high school-age women to theatre criticism and professional writing. Students will see RTW’s shows and attend monthly workshops, taught by local arts educators, journalists and theater critics. At the workshops students will discuss each play’s themes and production strategies with directors and actors and other members of RTW’s production team.
The project will emphasize the enthusiastic exploration of each student’s unique voice as a women and a writer. RTW hopes that this project will foster a new and more diverse group of theater critics.
We are proud to partner with PEARLS for Teen Girls for the first, ever FBYCP! RTW has assembled a dynamic team of local teaching artists, journalist and theater critics to breathe life into this program. Those instructors are arts Educator, Trevor Rees, MFA, Writer, Poet and Founder of Still Water, Dasha Kelly, Shepherd Express Theater Critic, Selena Melenski, Former Footlights Editor, Amanda Schumacher, and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Theater Critic, Michael Fischer.
Beginning in October 2017 with two-hour long classes held once a month on Saturday afternoon.
The FBYCP curriculum will include:
• October 14, 2017; An introduction to theater including an understanding of dramatic theory, script analysis and interpretation of plays. This may sound dull and dry but teaching artist Trevor Rees’ youthful and engaging teaching style makes the material fun and interesting. For homework students will read 2017 Br!NK play, ANNIE JUMP AND THE LIBRARY OF HEAVEN by Reina Hardy.
• November 11, 2017; FBYCP students will attend staged-reading of ANNIE JUMP AND THE LIBRARY OF HEAVE, followed by a structured talkback with the playwright. Students will then write a brief impression afterward.
• December 9, 2017; Led by Dasha Kelly (Writer, Poet and Founder of Still Water) the class will discuss their impressions of the show and evaluate their first writing samples.
• January 6, 2018; Constructing Critical reviews taught by Selena Melenski Shepherd Express Theater Reviewer. For homework students will read RTW’s 2nd production; RUSSIAN TRANSPORT by Erika Sheffer.
• February 10, 2018; FBYCP students will attend RTW’s production RUSSIAN TRANSPORT and write a brief impression afterward.
• March 10, 2018; Learning to write concisely and identify your audience led by Amanda Schumacher Footlights Editor at Marcus Promotions Program. Homework students to read TOP GIRLS by Caryl Churchill, RTW’s 3rd show.
• April 21, 2018; See TOP GIRLS and write a critical review.
• May 12, 2018; Share and discuss TOP GIRLS review with input from Mike Fischer Journal-Sentinel Theater Critic.
In the Spring, reviews will be posted on RTW’s website., social media and in our lobby. STAY TUNED!